The South African Red Cross Society is heavily reliant on donor funding for its operations, however it aims to prolong the organisations long term sustainability thus there is a need to invest in further sustainable enterprise programmes. The sustainable enterprises generate a source of revenue while benefiting the communities it serves. The South African Red Cross Society has various Sustainable Enterprise Developments in:
Model Crèches and Preschools
South African Red Cross Society recognises that early childhood is a crucial period for growth and long time development in a persons life. A majority of our children in South Africa do not access quality early childhood development programming. Thus in line with our strategy of Saving Lives and Changing Minds, SARCS strongly promotes holistic care and services for our youngest citizens. We have initiated Model Crèches and Preschools to meet the children's physical, social, emotional, language and cognitive development areas. In supporting young children's development rights to protection, survival and development our creches constitute:
- Safe and Secure Infrastructure
- Quality age appropriate play stimulation programmes incorporating literacy, numeracy and lifeskills.
- Health, Water Sanitation Hygiene Practice, Psycho Social Support Programming.
- Nutrition programmes.
- Access to a wide range of outdoor and indoor educational toys and equipment.
- Small classes.
Our daily learning programmes are outcomes based and in line with Department of Education and Department of Social Development norms and standards.
The Income generated from the Model Crèches and Preschools are ploughed back into rendering services for HIV and AIDS as well as Tuberculosis patients.
- Enrol your child in our Model Crèche or Preschool in your province?
- Support us by providing resources and toys.
The South African Red Cross Society identified the crucial need for creating sustainable livelihood opportunities for those vulnerable by poor health to strengthen economic development within their marginalised community.
Farming Projects are for the enhancement of nutritional values to the most vulnerable HIV and Aids clients, orphans and vulnerable children. This project is designed to ensure the sustainability of the existing Health and Care program across the KwaZulu Natal Province.
This program embarks on the improvement of the nutritional program in schools, particularly schools in rural communities where majority of the children reside in poverty. School children walk for long distances to school without having a proper well balanced meal which will assist them in maintaining a level of concentration at school and strength to carry them throughout the entire day.
The program will also assist with the provision of food relief during disasters, when victims are evacuated to community halls or marquees as a result of their homes are burnt down by fires, floods, blown away by heavy winds, hailstorms and tornadoes which are common risks. During the above catastrophes the South African Red Cross Society, assist the beneficiaries with hot meals which are sourced from public donations, the availability of which is not guaranteed.
- Promote eradication of poverty and preventable diseases through the provision of quality nutrition for vulnerable persons.
- Promote tangible quality of life improvements for vulnerable adults and children through the healthy nutrition.
- To build capacity for farm growth and self-sustenance.
- Strengthen and supply local school nutrition programme with fresh produce.
If you would like to help sustain our Farming activities:
- Donate seeds.
- Provide your farming skills and time.
- Donate equipment.
- Donate pesticides.
- Donate protective clothing.
- Donate organic fertilizers.
One of the South African Red Cross interventions have been the purchase of a portable oven, that can produce up to 32 loaves of bread. Bread being a basic commodity is very difficult for people in remote villages to get, as they have to spend approximately R90 return to go to town to purchase a loaf of bread. This bread is purchased by the community and thus saves it members lots of money, thanks to instant payday loans. Volunteers also bake cakes for local parties and funerals. The monies generated from the Bakery is used to sustain this project and help the vulnerable in the community.
Kindly help us by:
- Donating instant bread mixes.
- Donating baking ingredients.
- Donating a portable oven.
- Donating your baking skills and time.
Due to high levels of unemployment amongst women, Red Cross has initiated a Sewing Proect. Training as been provided by local dressmakers to equip the ladies with basic sewing skills. The ladies sew tracksuits, work uniforms, chair backs and tablecloths which are then hired out for functions. This project has created employment and enhanced ladies skills in the community. The income generated from the Sewing project is used to sustain the project, meet some of the expenses and help the vulnerable in the community.
Kindly help us by:
- Sharing your sewing skills and time with our ladies.
- Donating sewing machines.
- Donating material and cotton.
The Poultry Project was developed to enhance nutritional status, weight gain, improve health statuses, create employment, reduce hunger and food insecurities in low income areas. The eggs and chickens are sold to the community at competitive prices thus assisting in alleviating hunger. All staff attended a course on managing poultry and on implementation of a poultry project. The income generated is used to sustain the project, meet some of the expenses and are ploughed back to the vunerable in the community.
Kindly help us by:
- Sharing your poultry knowledge and time with us.
- Donating towards the upkeep of the poultry farm.
- Donate food.