The annual commemoration of 16 days of activism for no violence against women and children is celebrated worldwide and kicked off on the 25th of November and is commemorated until the 10th December. Every year during this period, government organizations, societies, business entities, NGO’s and the general public across South Africa and the world come together to take action of advocacy to ensure that the devastating acts of violence and abuse imposed on women and children, the contributing factors as well as the impact these acts have on both their physical and emotional states are brought to attention of all and that action is taken to cease this social ill.
- Throughout our KZN branches, awareness campaigns with different stakeholders will be run in conjunction with World Aids Day.
- In the North West, 7 facilitators have been tasked with spreading messages on gender violence in the community of Mahikeng.
- In the Limpopo Province, on the 30th of November partnering with Ivan Plats for an event for a community in Mokopane (Ga-Magongoa village), awareness will be raised on violence against women and children with focus on women and children’s rights. It will be integrated with World AIDS Day.
- Our Musina Branch (Limpopo Province) in partnership with the Department of Justice, SAPS, Lawyers for Human Rights, Musina Municipality and local communities are hosting a marathon and a community awareness event on the 6th of December to commemorate 16 Days of Activism against women and children combining it together with honouring World Aids Day. The targeted community will include youth, men, women, LGBTI’s and sex workers.
- 3 schools have been targeted in the Eastern Cape where girls between the ages of 11 and 19 years will be recipients of sanitary pads and wet wipes. The girls will be educated on sanitation in schools and on gender based violence at schools and communities they live in.